Behaviour reflects the academic and social progress of a student. We expect our students to behave at all times in a manner that reflects the culture, traditions and beliefs of our society and is conductive to a positive working environment.
The administration and staff Of International English School Of Abidjan believe that it is important to encourage and reinforce positive behavioral patterns and to discourage negative behavioral patterns, and rely upon parental support and cooperation to accomplish this objective.
Students should behave according to the following guidelines at all times.
- Pupils are expected to wear the prescribed school uniform and to be clean and tidy at all times to and from school. Any modification to the uniform is not allowed.
- Pupils must be courteous and respectful to everyone.
- Pupils must be on their best behaviour even outside school.
- School does not accept bullying of any kind by any pupils.
- Pupils should complete their homework neatly and hand it in punctually.
- Pupils must be punctual and regular for school and school activities.
- Absence from classes, exams and other school activities must be covered by a medical certificate or a letter of excuse from the parent/guardian.
- Pupils must keep their classrooms and school premises clean.
- Pupils must move quietly, briskly and in an orderly manner.
- Pupils must handle school equipment and property with care.
- Pupils are not allowed to bring mobile phones or any form of electronic gadgets at school. if found on pupils, these gadgets will be confiscated and parents/guardians will be asked to claim these items from the office.
- Pupils are not allowed to bring jewels, drugs and any kind of dangerous tools (knives, sharp objects…).
- Make up must not be worn to school by pupils. Coloured nail polish and nail decorations and extensions are not permitted.
- Tinting, bleaching, colouring and any fashionable hairstyling are not allowed.
- Students should not wear any form of cosmetics, nor should there be body piercings, or unnatural body markings made with inks, paints, etc.
- Any student who violates the school rules and regulations is liable to face disciplinary action.
Step 1 — Unacceptable Conduct
- The following types of behaviour are unacceptable and should be avoided at all times.
- Displaying a negative attitude towards society and school.
- Showing disrespect in any way towards religion, honor, or honesty.
- Taking or damaging property belonging to the school or other people.
- Defacing the walls or other school properties.
- Smoking or involvement with illegal substances (drugs/alcohol).
- Trespassing on school property during holidays.
- Showing disrespect towards others.
- Cheating during tests or examinations.
- Falsifying school reports and certificates.
- Dealing with videos, pictures and magazines which are unacceptable in our society.
- Fighting, bullying or violent behavior towards others.
- Swearing or using abusive language.
- Throwing or using abusive language.
- Throwing or using objects in a manner that may hurt others.
- Playing or looking around restrooms.
- Chewing gums while on school premises.
- Littering the playground or campus.
- Any other conduct deemed in appropriate or unacceptable by the school.
STEP 2 — Written Reprimand. Parents Will Be Informed
- Repetition of any misdemeanor in step 1.
- Using bad language.
- Repeated misbehaviour in class.
STEP 3 — Detention
- Repetition of any of the previous behaviours
STEP 4 — Written Warnings
- Repetition of any of the previous behaviors.
- Using bad language towards teachers or peers.
- Damaging school property.
- Fighting in school.
- Cheating during tests.
STEP 5 — Suspension From School/Class For 2 Days Or More
- Displaying a negative attitude towards school or society.
- Bringing fireworks to school.
- Bringing tapes or pictures deemed inappropriate by the school.
- Showing disrespect towards teachers.
N.B. In the first instance a student will be suspended in school. A repetition of this conduct would result in suspension from the school premises.
STEP 6 — Suspension From School/Class Until Examinations. The Student Will Be Allowed To Take
- Repetition of the behavior described above.
- Drug or alcohol abuse.
STEP 7 — Student Will Be Expelled If He/She
- Shows violence towards staff members.
- Is convicted of a criminal offence.
The school will keep records of all disciplinary actions taken in the file of each student for referral at any time. Parents will be informed at all stages if a student is behaving in an unacceptable manner. Their help and cooperation will be sought in order to solve the problem and steer the student back onto the correct path.
Click here for a PDF version